Quick and easy recipe for Thai Chicken Burgers topped with a pickled Asian slaw – the perfect American-Thai fusion.
Do I need any special products to make Thai Chicken Burgers?
The Asian speciality ingredients in this recipe can all be found in the world food’s section of most large supermarkets.
They will usually have long use-by dates on so do not be put off by larger bottles or soy sauce or fish sauce, as they are always useful.
A blender for the paste always helps with dishes like this, as you can create the paste in seconds rather working up a sweat with a pestle and mortar for longer amounts of time. Yes, it looks cooler but who honestly has the time!
A marked skillet can also help you for marking the chicken breasts up to add a chargrilled effect.
What shall I serve the Thai Chicken Burgers with?
These Thai Chicken Burgers are great and filling on their own, however, they also go great with spiced wedges or skinny fries.
Thai Chicken Burger Recipe
- 4 Chicken Breasts Butterflied
- 4 Brioche Buns
- 25g Lemongrass (Paste if not using a blender
- 2 TBSP Crunchy Peanut Butter
- 1 TSP Ginger Puree
- 1/2 Tin (200ml) Coconut Milk
- 2 TSP Soy Sauce
- 30g Fresh Coriander (stalks included)
- Half a White Onion (finely chopped)
- 2 Green Chillies - deseeded
- 4 Cloves of Garlic ( 2 TSP if using puree)
- 1 Lime (Juiced)
- 25g Brown Sugar
- 2 Carrots (peeled)
- 1/4 Red Cabbage
- 1/4 Mooli (peeled) or 1 Radish (thinly sliced)
- 400mls Rice Wine Vinegar
- 100g Brown Sugar
- 200ml Water
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Star Anise
Easy Sriracha Mayo
- 1 Lime Juiced
- 50g Mayonaise
- 25g Sriracha Hot Sauce
- 10g Coriander (finely chopped)
To make the Thai Chicken Burger Marinade
- Use a blender (or Pestle and Mortar) to blend/crush the marinade ingredients together (no order preference)
- Butterfly the chicken breasts or simply cut in half and coat in the marinade for anywhere between 1-4 hours (the longer the better for a more intense flavour)
Pickling the Slaw
- In a pan, place the water, salt, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, cinnamon stick and star anise
- Boil for 5-10 minutes or until all of the sugar has dissolved
- During this time, shred the red cabbage, the carrot and the mooli/radish finely
- Mix with the shredded vegetables with the ingredients of the pan
- Leave to sit in the fridge while the chicken marinates
- To make the sriracha mayo simply blend/mix the ingredients together
- Once marinated, heat a large pan/skillet on a medium heat with a tablespoon of oil. Cook on both sides for 2 minutes
- Place in the oven on a baking tray with baking paper for a further 10-12 minutes (or until cooked) at 170 Electric (160 fan)
- Toast the brioche buns during the final 2 minutes of cooking.
- To serve place the burger on the bun, top with the slaw and sriracha mayo
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 833Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 224mgSodium: 890mgCarbohydrates: 82gFiber: 6gSugar: 41gProtein: 50g
Estimated Values Only